Bedbuyer™ is proud to be Australia’s largest bedding website and most trusted bedding resource. Below is a description of the Bedbuyer Review Process. All mattress reviews carried out by Bedbuyer are 100% independent and unbiased. Our reviews are done collaboratively by our expert panel of experienced chiropractors and Bedbuyer receives no money or financial reward for undertaking any of our mattress reviews. Bedbuyer is dedicated to producing reviews of the highest quality to help Australian consumers decide on the right mattress for their individual needs.
Bedbuyer carries out its mattress reviews by conducting store visits at a range of retail bedding stores. Bedbuyer also conducts reviews on sample ‘mattress in a box’ products. We aim to assess each mattress individually, but also in context of the market.
Our reviews include an ‘easy to understand’ written summary as well as an overall star rating. Bedbuyer also rates each mattress in five separate categories that we have identified are most meaningful to Australian consumers. These categories are:
- Spinal Support
- Build Quality
- Partner Disturbance
- Value For Money
Bedbuyer’s expert review team assess the comfort level on each mattress subjectively. We make a determination as to how pleasurable the mattress is to lie on in a full range of positions – back, side, and front, plus different versions of each of these! Some mattresses absorb body weight beautifully, minimising pressure on the spine, shoulders, and hips. We also take note of the ‘responsiveness’ of the mattress, in other words how it reacts to normal body movements during sleep. Some mattresses do not provide an even level of pressure relief, nor does the mattress have an appropriate level of responsiveness to movement. Based on a recent survey conducted by Bedbuyer, comfort was the most important thing that people considered when purchasing a new mattress.
Our checklist for this category includes:
- Comfort in a side lying position noting pressure on shoulders, pelvis, and hips
- Comfort in a front lying position noting pressure on shoulders, pelvis, and hips
- Comfort in a back lying position noting pressure on shoulders, pelvis, and hips
- Comfort during normal positional changes (e.g. back lying to side lying)
- Level of responsiveness during normal positional changes
- Overall feel and weight absorption of the top layer
Bedbuyer places a high level of importance on spinal support as this greatly influences the health and condition of the spine. We determine how well the mattress maintains the spine in a healthy position. This is done through subjective feel, careful observation, photographs, and measurements to detect how well each mattress allows the spine and body to rest in a healthy, neutral position. As with comfort, spinal support is assessed in a range of positions:
- Spinal support in a side lying position
- Spinal support in a front lying position
- Spinal support in a back lying position
- Spinal support during positional changes (e.g. back lying to side lying)
- Overall consideration of spinal support that the mattress offers
This relates to the quality of the materials in the mattress. Some mattresses feel cheap and flimsy, whilst others feel strong, sturdy, and will likely last many years. Using years of experience and careful examination, we will give an indication here as to the overall quality of the product. We assess each mattress on the following criteria:
- Quality and durability of external materials used (e.g. comfort layers, outer cover, foams, fabrics)
- Quality and durability of internal materials used (e.g. spring system, foams)
- Edge support – quality of the outer edge of the mattress and how it supports the body in a lying and seated position
- General sturdiness of the mattress – does it feel solid or does it feel flimsy?
- Any special or advanced technology that is integrated into the mattress (e.g. unique spring system, positional controls, special foams).
- Are the materials used anti-bacterial or hypoallergenic?
- Are the materials used likely to disperse body heat effectively to prevent overheating during sleep?
This is an important aspect for many bed shoppers as a restless partner can certainly result in poor sleep. Here we test each mattress to see what the level of disruption is during partner movements. Some mattresses exhibit a very low level of partner disturbance, and other mattresses more noticeably with partner movements. Bedbuyer tests partner disturbance using:
- A simple, subjective measure of how much disturbance there is with partner movements
- Using water bottles or glasses to observe vibrational movements
- Using a vibrational measuring application on a smartphone
Value for Money
As part of the Bedbuyer Review Process, we give a rating on value. This is relevant for any bed shopper so you can see how the mattress stacks up when it comes to the asking price. There is a huge range of prices in mattresses from a few hundred dollars, all the way to up over $20,000, so this rating category will guide you in terms of value for money. Specifically, we consider:
- Based on the quality of the mattress, does this represent good value for money?
- Based on the market, does this mattress represent good value for money?
- Based on service, delivery process, and any after sales service (e.g. return/refund options), does this mattress represent good value for money?
- Based on practical elements (comfort, support, and partner disturbance) does this mattress represent good value for money?
We hope that this has provided a thorough description of the Bedbuyer Review Process but if you have any further queries, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Please note: Overall star ratings are not always an average of the individual category ratings.
Bedbuyer.com.au is Australia’s leading independent mattress review website. Our site contains over 1000 mattress reviews, all conducted by our expert team of health professionals who are all experienced in clinical patient care and mattress assessment.
All of the mattress reviews listed on Bedbuyer™ are 100% independent and unbiased. To eliminate any element of bias, we do not receive any money or financial reward for undertaking any of our mattress reviews. Similarly, none of the mattresses listed in any of our blog articles have paid Bedbuyer to be listed. Bedbuyer is fully committed to providing genuine and trustworthy information to help Australian consumers get the right mattress for their individual needs. To see how we conduct our mattress reviews, click here.
As you can imagine, running a big website like this does cost money. To make Bedbuyer a free resource for you, we generate income from advertising on our site, as well as affiliate relationships with many mattress companies where Bedbuyer receives a small percentage of a sale when our readers click through links on our site. These relationships were all arranged after any review process and we can assure our readers that these relationships have no influence on the content of our reviews. We welcome our readers to contact Bedbuyer if you have any questions about these business relationships.
Bedbuyer™ assumes no responsibility for the selection of bedding products. Our content is to used only as a guide, and our reviews and top product lists are the opinion of our expert review team. Similarly, recommendations given over email or live chat are general in nature and Bedbuyer does not take any responsibility for undesirable outcomes that arise from our recommendations. Furthermore, a favourable star rating does not guarantee that the mattress will be suitable for you. We encourage our readers to consult the written portion of the review to see if the mattress is right for your individual needs. We strongly acknowledge that each person has specific needs in relation to bedding products based on their age, gender, body type, spinal condition, and health condition. Bedbuyer recommends that you consult with us, your health professional, and/or a bedding salesperson before you make your final purchase. If you have any queries about your bedding selection, please contact us!
As we continue to build our website, our knowledge in mattress assessment constantly grows. Furthermore, Bedbuyer reserves the right to amend reviews, ratings, and top product lists at any time.
Bedbuyer is committed to providing accurate and up-to-date information on bedding products. However, we cannot guarantee all of our information is 100% correct as products and prices constantly change. Bedbuyer welcomes you to contact us if you have recognised any information that requires updating.
Bedbuyer™ Pty Ltd is a registered company under the Corporations Act 2001.
ABN: 21 628 046 784
Bedbuyer™ was issued a Trade Mark certificate by the Australian government on the 6th of February 2016, Trade Mark No. 1750873. This Trade Mark is valid until the 6th of February 2026.
All of the information on this website is highly protected under copyright law. None of the information on this website may be used in any form without specific permission from Bedbuyer™.
Bedbuyer™ seeks corporate legal advice from Douglas Cheveralls Lawyers – dclawyers.com.au
Douglas Cheveralls Lawyers (or DC Lawyers) is a boutique law firm specialising in commercial litigation and dispute resolution and practises in property and leasing law, contract law (including contract drafting), corporations law (including shareholder and director disputes), construction law (including adjudications and arbitrations), employment law and family law (children and property matters).