All mattress reviews carried out by Bedbuyer are 100% independent and unbiased. Our reviews are done collaboratively by our expert panel of chiropractors and Bedbuyer receives no money or financial reward for undertaking any of our mattress reviews. Bedbuyer takes great pride in producing reviews of the highest quality to help you decide on the right mattress for you.
Bedbuyer carries out independent product reviews by conducting store visits at a range of bedding outlets. Bedbuyer also conducts reviews on sample ‘mattress in a box’ products. Our team of chiropractors carefully examine bedding products to give consumers a written summary, an overall star rating, and also star ratings in five categories:
1. Comfort. We assess the comfort level on each mattress subjectively. We make a determination as to how pleasurable it is to lie on the mattress in a full range of positions – back, side, and front, plus different versions of each of these! Some mattresses absorb body weight beautifully, minimising pressure on the spine, shoulders, and hips. Other mattresses do not account for these differences in weight distribution in the human body and so do not create an good sense of comfort. Based on a recent survey conducted by Bedbuyer, comfort was the most important thing that people considered when purchasing a new mattress.
2. Spinal Support. Bedbuyer places a high level of importance on spinal support as this greatly influences spinal health, a central pillar of chiropractic care. We determine how well the mattress maintains the spine in a healthy position. This is done through subjective feel and careful observation, photographs, and measurements to detect how well each mattress allows the spine and body to rest in a healthy position. As with comfort, spinal support is assessed in a range of positions.
3. Build Quality. This relates to the quality of the materials made to use the mattress. Some mattresses feel cheap and flimsy, whilst others feel strong, sturdy, and will likely last many years. Using years of experience and careful examination, we will give an indication here as to the overall quality of the product.
4. Partner Disturbance. This is an important aspect for many bed shoppers. We test each mattress to see what the level of disruption is during partner movements. Some mattresses have a remarkably non-existent level of partner disturbance, hence there would be no disruption to sleep during partner movements. Other mattresses create an immediate level of disruption during partner movements which can seriously affect sleep quality. Bedbuyer tests partner disturbance using our reviewers, bowling pins, and a vibrational measuring app.
5. Value for Money. Based on our hundreds of mattress reviews, we will give a rating as to what you’re getting for your money. This is relevant for people on a budget, but also any shopper who is interested in how the product stacks up for the asking price. There is a huge range of prices in mattresses from a few hundred dollars, all the way to up over $10,000, so be sure to take this rating category into account when deciding on your new mattress.
Please note: The overall star ratings are not simply an average of the individual category ratings. Overall star ratings are determined subjectively with spinal support typically being weighted most heavily. Mattresses are tested by our review panel made up of two averaged sized males and two average sized females. We recommend that you consider this when reading our reviews and that elderly people sometimes require a softer sleeping surface than younger people. For any enquiries about our review process, please contact us.